Elderberries are a great remedy for the colder months, since they can help to prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms. Their high levels of flavonoids and Vitamin C help to support the immune system. Schisandra Berries, also known as the “5 Flavoured Fruit” since it contains all 5 tastes – sweet, salty, bitter, warm and sour, are a great addition to this syrup with their ability to help tone and strengthen the immune system. Being an adaptogen, they help the body adapt to physical and emotional stress. Adding Cinnamon and Ginger to this syrup is not only delicious but also provides anti-inflammatory benefits and warming properties. Enjoy this on it’s own or add to soda water & cocktails, drizzle on pancakes and oatmeal.
2/3 cup Dried Elderberries
3 Tbsp. Dried Schisandra Berries
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 Tbsp. Fresh Finely Chopped Ginger or 1⁄2 tsp. Dried Ginger
4 cups of Filtered Water
1 cup Unpasteurized Honey
- Add Water, Elderberries, Schisandra Berries, Cinnamon, Ginger to a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover with lid and educe heat to a simmer for about 45 minutes until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a glass jar or bowl, (remove cinnamon stick) and using the back of a spoon press on the berries to extract all of the juice.
- Discard berries, ginger and cinnamon stick.
- Add honey to liquid mixture and mix well.
- Transfer syrup to a sealed glass jar and store in the fridge.
- Enjoy this delicious immune supportive syrup!
Standard Dose is 1⁄2-1tsp. for children and 1⁄2-1 tbsp. for adults. Can be taken every 2-3 hours during a cold or flu.
*Not suitable for children under 1 years old because this syrup contains honey.